Monday 23 June 2014

Back to Basics

Hello and Good Morning to you all!  This week I am lucky enough to be involved in a wonderful expo organised by a good friend of mine - "Back to Basics".  There will be heaps of stalls there where people can find out about living savvy and sustainably.  You can find out more here.

I will be doing a stall with homemade vegetable soup, pumpkin soup and pumpkin scones.  People will be able to have a taste, take some recipes and also view my cookbook - only have a few left so will be taking orders!



Anyways, if you are in the Ashburton area on Saturday afternoon, I hope you do pop in and have a look.  It's free entry and I'm confident you will go home inspired!  There will be preserving, recycling, natural remedies, power saving, DIY and much more!



I have done a little experimenting this week.  Coconut sugar is something I have been wanting to try for a while and my girlfriend bought some the other day and gave me a bit to try.  This wasn't in granulated form as we expected - though have since found out you can get it that way.  It was more like a dough really.  I have used it in some biscuits and a slice.  Didn't turn out too badly either.

Chocolate swirl biscuits

1/2C coconut sugar
50g butter
1tsp vanilla
1 1/4C flour
1tsp baking powder
1/3C chocolate drops

Heat sugar, butter and vanilla in a saucepan over a low heat until combined.  Add flour and baking powder, mix then when almost combined, add chocolate.  It will start melting so stir quickly.
Roll into balls and flatten.  Bake for 10-15 mins at 180C

*This does get messy with the chocolate melting so you may want to use gloves or spoons.



Apricot and Date Bars

This recipe is from the FB sensation "Feed a family of 6 for under $20" and I just changed a few things :)

1C rolled oats
1C cornflakes
1/4C dried apricots
1/4C dates
1/4C raisins
50g butter
1/4C coconut sugar
1/4C golden syrup
pinch of cinnamon
1tsp vanilla
1/2C dark choc

Preheat oven to 180C and line slice tin.
Put oats, cornflakes, cinnamon and fruit cut into bits into a bowl.
Heat sugar, butter and golden syrup in saucepan.  Allow it to simmer for a few minutes.
Add vanilla.
Pour into dry ingredients and mix well.
Press into tin and bake for 15mins.
Allow it to cool before drizzling with melted chocolate.



Just the two recipes for now, but do keep an eye on my page where I put up different recipes all the time :)  Have a great week and I hope to see you on Saturday!  Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment